The 60 second overview:
- It’s easy to appear near the top of the search results for a search term, but you want to ensure you appear near the top (“rank”) for search terms that are popular.
- How do you find out which terms are popular?
- The easiest way to do this is using the Google Keyword Planner
- Enter your product or service and the web page you want to appear in the search results for these searches and Google will give you a list of relevant search terms and how much traffic you can expect from them.
- To narrow the focus down, you can filter by location (i.e. London, Essex and Kent).
- However, there is a balance between getting the most traffic and what is achievable.
- If you try to rank for a very competitive term (such as Car Insurance) and don’t have a strong website then you’ll appear so far down the results that you’ll never be seen.
- In that case, you may want to try to rank for more “long-tail keywords” by adding extra words.
- So instead of “Car Insurance” you may want to try ranking for “Young Person Car Insurance” or “Cheap Car Insurance” etc.
- Equally, if you’re a photographer, you may want to add your location. So instead of ranking for “Photographer” you may want to rank for “Photographer in Lincoln”.
- Using the Google Keyword Tool helps you explore what’s possible.
- You may want to test the effectiveness of the keywords by trying it with Google Adwords first.
Not sure what to do next? Give us a call on 0118 380 0131, or contact us here to see how we can help.
Make sure you don’t miss the rest of this series. Sign up below to receive short, simple website tips straight into your inbox.